Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel
|Address & Map||
71 West Dr, Unit 23
Brampton, ON L6T 5E2
View Google Map
|Located In Community||Brampton|
|Intersection||S/E corner of West Drive and Clark Blvd|
|Description||Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel provides mentoring programs to help promote the healthy development of children and youth (6-17yrs) in Peel Region.
Programs offered for children include:
* One-to-One Mentoring - matches a child 6 - 17 years of age (Little Brother/Little Sister) with a caring adult (Big Brother/Big Sister) over the age of 18. Matches are encouraged to plan fun and low cost activities 2 - 4 times per month for 1 year. Monthly agency sponsored recreational activities are provided. Unique opportunities to mentor a child together as a couple or as a female volunteer matched with a young boy are also available in our Couples for Kids Program and Big & Little Buddy Program.
* Group Mentoring - Five volunteers mentor ten children one weeknight from Sept-June in local schools throughout the Region. Outing costs are covered by the agency. Activities include floor hockey and sports, community tours, swimming and more.
* In-School Mentoring offered in partnership with the Peel District School Board and the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board this program matches elementary girls and boys with a caring adult mentor. Matches meet for one hour during school hours and on school property to share in fun activities.
* Teen Mentoring - This school based program matches elementary students with caring youth mentors ages 15 and up from a nearby participating secondary school. Matches meet at the same time each week in a supervised group setting.
* Go Girls! Healthy Bodies, Healthy Minds - A school based mentoring program for girls in Grades 7 and 8. The program curriculum promotes active living, healthy eating and positive self esteem. Female mentors ages 18 - 25 years are trained to lead the fun and interactive sessions over 7 weeks.
*Game On! Eat Smart, Play Smart, Live Smart - A seven week school based mentoring program for boys ages 11 - 14. Explore pressing issues facing boys and young men through physical activity, healthy eating, self-esteem and communication skills. Male mentors are fully trained to lead sessions in participating schools.
* Conversation Club provides new Canadian youth (12 - 18) with opportunities to integrate into Canadian society, to practice English conversation skills and receive homework help from youth mentors (18 - 24). Offered in partnership with the Centre for Education and Training and funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
VOLUNTEER MENTOR ROLE Volunteers for most programs must commit to a minimum of one year or one school based year with the exception of Go Girls!, Game On! and Conversation Club.
|Hours||Flexible depending on program|
|Dates||All year long|
|Areas Served||Peel Region|
|Eligibility||Ages: 6 year(s) - 17 year(s)
Volunteers must be 18 yrs and over for most programs except for Teen Mentoring.
|Application||Parent/Guardian referrals or school referrals|
|Record Views (Total)||19485 (as of 15 Nov 2023)|
|Service Level||(50) Non Profit|